Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Twelve Years Ahead

 
 
"In a little more than ten years St. Paul established the Church in four provinces of the Roman Empire (Galatia, Madedonia, Achaia and Asia). Before AD 47 there were no churches in these provinces; in AD 57 St. Paul could speak as if his work there was done" (Roland Allen – Missionary Methods).

This past Sunday I posed a question: "What would you like to see done in our area for Jesus Christ over the next 12 years?" Perhaps my fellow bloggers can water that seed question. The blank billboard is for you to fill in the space with dreams and desires for gospel visibility.

I am not asking for prophetic utterances, unless of course God gives you one. I would like for you to prayerfully consider the question. Our region is increasing in spiritual darkness - how can the church address this issue.? So, in light of what God allowed Paul to experience - what should be our hope for the gospel in our region?

3 comments:

  1. As a relative newcomer to the area, I can't vouch for it falling into an ever increasing spiritual darkness, but since that seems to be the trend in much of our society, I suspect it is no less so in our little corner of the world. It's a shocking thought, when you actually ponder it. Think back 12 years, then 12 years more and you see a very different world.

    It's tempting sometimes, because we've watched a long progression into increasing darkness to think it is just "the way of the world." But then you think of Paul, and the dark empire he lived in, and what a difference 12 years and one man made and you realize that one person, with God's wind at his back, can do a lot to transform society.

    And he didn't even have modern media or the internet. There was no "viral video" on YouTube to get people's attention. He did it one person at a time, then one town at a time.

    That's a lesson we can learn from, I think. Don't get so overwhelmed with the big, just witness (tell what God has done in our own lives) over and over again, then trust God to work. And we know he will, because he always has. A lot of our spiritual darkness is, I sometimes think, because we have forgotten to simply witness, simply share what God has done in our individual lives. We hoard it to ourselves, just the opposite of the "great commission."

    I don't have a vision for the area in 12 years. I simply have not been here enough to feel what's possible. But I know great things ARE possible. I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good Tom - I like the thinking because I have been reading lately on what it means to "be the presence of Christ in community". To have as one author stated - "Ordinary intentionality".
    Because I am primarily a visionary - I always like to think in tangible terms so it is good to be challenged by friends like you who help me remember to trust God that when we bring the presence of Christ into our world each day we bring His blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A People without vision will perish." - One of my core verses in life. So hang on to that visionary bent!

    ReplyDelete