Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Gospel, Shame and Freedom

Whatever happens tomorrow morning is ultimately up to God - but if I could do one thing it would be to make one truth absolutely clear - the gospel leads us to shame while at the same time it leads us to freedom.

For a number of years I have pondered the impact of Adam's sin in the garden. There was a time when I narrowly applied sin as only "separation from God" - in reality sin separates us from everyone and everything. The death is not just physical but emotional, psychological and relational.  Sin is the root cause of all our distorted thinking, acting and leads us to despair. The gospel is the power of God to break through the despair and bring life. A life which is completely unified. We are finally freed to be all that God intends us to be which is the essence of our unity with Him, with ourselves and with one another.

When I first hear this good news it doesn't sound all that good. My sin has fooled me into thinking that I could actually be god. That I could rule myself and the world. The gospel tells me something different. It tells me I am a fraud. A phony. A liar and thief. Broken I receive the truth that unless I receive Jesus I will continue to live in disunity.

The hope of the gospel is that when I come broken and helpless before the Maker I can receive His life. He not only receives me with gladness but repairs me  - He puts me back together again. This is the glorious gospel of freedom and is the only hope for my shame to be eradicated. 

Tomorrow I preach with eager anticipation because the power of the gospel changes everything and I can't think of any better messages to give to broken humans.

1 comment:

  1. It's Sunday afternoon, and I've been reflecting on your sermon this morning. I think it's one of the best I have heard you preach in a good while. It's rare I hate to hear a sermon end, but I wanted more as you got into the redemption side of the equation. I think so many people miss many of the points you brought up. And they sure won't get those points on the popular media outlets.

    ReplyDelete